How have Bayside Rec Center's Members Stayed Physically, Mentally & Emotionally Healthy During the Pandemic?

Fitness and Wellness staff at the Bayside Rec Center wanted to know what their members have done to remain Physically, Mentally, & Emotionally healthy over the last year…so they made it a contest! Of the 27 entries, these three were selected as the winners!

Patricia “Pat” Wance –

“For the first few weeks in March of 2020, we all probably had that “deer in the headlights” look and wandered the streets aimlessly (not really but it was a bit of a shock.) I live in a very friendly, supportive neighborhood, and many of us are retired, evolving into loyal “gym gerbils.” We all felt lost without those morning classes or working hard on machines. The former PE teacher across the street, along with the help of my husband, who never stopped working out since his days at West Point, decided to set up dedicated stations in a driveway to work all muscle groups including the heart. All were 6’ apart, mats were available, beach towels encouraged, and the invitations to join us went out. We ended up with 5, sometimes 6 folks eager to work off the frustrations of sheltering-in-place. We started with stretching.  Each station had two exercises per body parts (biceps/triceps, core/chest, legs/cardio etc.), timed for 30 seconds each with 15 seconds to move to the next station. The exercises varied each session, and we tried to meet 3-4 times/week, sometimes even on Saturdays. Saturdays were the best because we often ended those sessions with mimosas and muffins! Oh, our dogs joined us too. They really enjoyed laying on the beach towels or scooting underneath us when planks or pushups were part of the workout.  It took a while for them to get used to seeing us at ground level.  I really believe those workouts kept us sane besides helping our bodies, but the socialization was the most satisfying. We laughed a lot thanks to the comments made by our cynical “timer” who just sat in a beach chair.  I feel blessed that I had that experience during this pandemic.”

Barbara French –

“Since I work twelve-hour days in a hospital unit around patients, staying physically, mentally, and emotionally healthy this past year has been extremely challenging.  One of the things that I have done is to work out more regularly, since it is a great stress reliever!  At first, it was through the free Les Mills classes that were offered (online) through the rec center while they were closed. Looking for a little bit more variety, I started saving and participating in the various classes that were uploaded through the rec center’s Fitness & Wellness Facebook group.  As my strength and endurance increased, I was able to take harder classes that challenged me more. I may not have made it through the entire class the first time or two (or three!), but eventually I was able to.  I have a few dozen workouts saved so that I can do them as I have time.  I especially enjoy the ones provided by Laurie, Lisa, and Alex.  All of these video options were a life saver for me!  Once the rec centers opened back up, I started going back to in-person classes on my days off, while still continuing to work out at home as I could.  I feel that I am in better shape now than I’ve ever been in my life!  I have also started reading books again (on my front porch), as well as working in my yard taking care of my vegetable garden and flower beds.  All of these items were vital in helping me to take care of myself through this pandemic, but I give the most credit to the rec center. Their thinking outside the box and providing numerous options for their patrons is much appreciated!”

Bernie Oliver –

“First of all, I wanted to say the staff at the Bayside Rec Center is the best I’ve encountered. They are always happy and willing to provide assistance and keep the facility in top shape. I attend classes each week, and I can honestly say I feel so much better than I have ever felt.  My range of motion, wellness, and stamina have increased, while my back issues have decreased tremendously. In the past, I was seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis, and now I’m not having those issues unless I do something that I shouldn’t be doing at age 72! Also, by attending the weight room and swimming it has made me more aware of how important it is to stay in shape while watching what I eat.  It’s a mental adjustment because you don’t want to feel like you have wasted all of the hard work you did at the rec center all week. It’s a pleasure being able to visit the Bayside Rec Center and get the expert attention to keep me feeling good and healthy again. Thanks to your team of instructors, especially Laurie, Leanne, and Beverly. On a ratings scale from 1 to 10, I would definitely give a rating of 10.”


To join our incredible recreation center family, visit VBgov.com/join and see all the membership and payment plan options available!

Comments