National Volunteer Week: Coaching As A Football Family

 During National Volunteer Week, we recognize those who donate their time to improve their communities.  Those who lead our youth sports programs are not just helping youth to develop athletic skills, but they are also teaching the life lessons that come with competing in sports.

Virginia Beach Volunteer Coaching - Volunteer Virginia Beach - VB Football Coaching

Virginia Beach is fortunate to have the father and son team of John and Tyler Thatch in our volunteer ranks. John started his volunteer coaching experience 10 years ago with the NFL Youth League, then joined the Great Neck Athletic Association seven years ago.  Tyler got his start while under his father’s coaching, helping to come up with plays and creating the playbook for the offense. He has evolved to coaching on the field last fall with the Flag Football program.

Both father and son see last Fall’s Flag Football championship run as the highlight of coaching experiences. Their 13U team had only 3 returning players and worked hard to teach the game of football to the newcomers. With a “never give up” approach, they improvised a crash course to make all players comfortable with their roles. John credited Tyler for their championship. “Without his assistance on the sideline, this would have never been possible. Tyler has a pretty good track record because we have made it to the Championship game with every team that we worked together on.”  

We had a chance to ask the Thatch’s about their coaching experience.

Q: What inspired you to get into coaching?

John: “I started off coaching, really, just to be there and support my son in his first year. I never imagined that I would still be coaching 9 years later. But once I was in it, there was no going back. The biggest impact it had on me was the relationships that formed with the players. I genuinely care about every player that I have ever coached, and over the years, I have kept in touch with many of them. It is a great feeling to see them continue with their successes both on and off the field.”

Tyler: “I like coming up with new plays and figuring out how to get the players to execute them. Coaching has given me a new perspective on the game and helped to improve my game as well. I also love football and wanted to pass that along to younger kids so they can learn to love it too.”

Q. As many parents start out coaching with their own youth, what advice would you give them?  

John: “Just make sure you are in it for all the right reasons. Treat all your players as if they are your family and spend more time with the ones having difficulty than the ones that are playing well. Nobody becomes a superstar overnight, so, be patient and take baby steps if you need to. Not every player is going to become the best on the team, and they do not have to be. Help them reach their own potential, so they can be proud and confident in what they do. As a coach, every player’s success is my success and never the other way around.”

Tyler: “I would tell them to get to know their players both on and off the field. It is important to develop a relationship with them to find out their strengths and weakness. That way you can utilize their strengths to help the team win and help them improve on their weaknesses. It is also important to motivate them.”

Q. Anything else you would like to add?

John: “I would like to sincerely thank the City of Virginia Beach for providing the opportunities for my sons, and players over the years, to participate in the youth football program. I cannot tell you what an impact it has had on them growing up. Football is just a great sport for teaching kids many of life lessons that they would not necessarily learn otherwise. It has been an absolute honor for me to be a part of this for so long and I am most grateful. So many great memories and so many great people that I have come to know coaching here that it is truly like a second family to me.”

Tyler: “I would like to thank my dad for being a great coach, for helping me develop my skills and for the love of football.”


Comments